Monday, October 3, 2011

31 Days of Halloween: Day 3

Day 3

Paranormal Activity (2007)



If you are into the movie Poltergeist or a fan of the Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures (like me), you will like this movie. Follow a couple as they document the strange paranormal activities in their home with a hand held camera.

What I really like about this movie is the simplicity of it all. There are no obvious camera tricks or severe CGI to make this movie look hokey. I feel that this is what makes this movie believable and entertaining. The subtle changes in the Katie character, going from moody to scared to frustrated to catatonic is great. You are pretty much rooting for the couple when the psychic returns to the home only to practically run out the door almost immediately. The dread that they are feeling is nuts. You want to reach in, hug them, and tell them to get the hell out.

One of my favorite scenes dealt with the dragging (just watch). I like how it was done and how it was intense and severe. The entire movie (minus the few slow yappy moments) was good. The only thing that I would have wanted to change was the boyfriend who was filming (Micah). He just kept pushing and he's the one who made it 'all' worse. You want to yell at him to stop (which Katie does...and he just keeps pushing). You know it's going to go downhill from there.

Lastly, check out the ending. One of my favorites. And if you rent the movie, you can check out the alternate ending (although, between you and me, I prefer the original theatrical version).

I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel (and even the 3rd - yes, they are making a Paranormal Activity 3).

Similar Movies:

Blair Witch Project (1999) (one of the series coming soon)
Paranormal Activity (2007)
Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Exorcist (1973) (coming soon)


Up Next:

HOCUS POCUS (1993)


I think its time for something fun! :-)

No comments: