Sunday, October 23, 2011

31 Days of Halloween: Day 23



Day 23

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)




Freddie Kruger...he's up there with Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and Leatherface...in terms of serial killers...and remakes.

I have to admit that I have never seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street, the one that launched Johnny Depp, but I have seen some scenes from the film. I highly enjoyed this version. Like the Rob Zombie version of Halloween, you learn more about the psychopath's history, understanding where he's coming from. In Kruger's case, you fear him, feel for him, and then you are back to fearing him. It's a great twist that leads you on this chase for the truth.

Jackie Earle Haley is great as the knife-fingered villian and Rooney Mara is good as Nancy, his 'favorite'. I feel that Haley is just good at being creepy; Little Children (2006) anyone? I do have to give a shout out to Kellan Lutz, who bites it in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, who is one of my Twilight boys (he plays Emmett Cullen) and to Katie Cassidy, who I first saw her in the horror mini-series Harper's Island (2009) (more on television series on a Blog Extra).

About halfway through the movie do you find out what actually happened to Kruger, but it's not towards the end that you discover whether it was true or not. I'm not sure I buy the climax of the movie, (not going to give it away), but I did enjoy the actual end of the movie (the last 15 seconds). Think Friday the 13th, but not int he same way. Pretty cool.

All the scare tactics I did see coming; the heroin in the closet, the clawed dog, etc. I didn't anticipate the hallway of blood though. Pretty cool...and it falling into her bedroom. Pretty awesome. This is definitely one to watch!


Similar Movies:

Friday the 13th (1980/2009)
Halloween (1978/2007)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974/2003)
Freddy vs Jason (2003)


Up Next

The Mist (2007)


No comments: