Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days of Halloween: Day 20

Day 20

The Thing (1982)



Overall, this is a very interesting movie. Another possession movie...two days in a row...but its very different from Body Snatchers, particularly in how its done.

This movie takes place in a remote camp in Antarctica, where there are a group of people doing scientific work. After a helicopter crash with two Norwegians, they are stuck with a stray dog that the helicopter was chasing. After the 'dog' goes haywire in the cage with the other dogs, they realize some 'thing' is among them.

The scare factor in this movie is pretty low...but the effects are fantastic, particularly for the early 80's. I can only imagine what the most recent version of this film (released this month) looks like. The gore factor was high, but not in a completely grotesque way (I don't really think there is a 'too grotesque' movie, but I'm sure one could be brought to my attention). I felt that the level of blood and gore was just right for this movie, and fairly realistic in its presentation.

The idea that there was something basically assimilating the humans in the camp and creating duplicates that were taking their place...crazy. Kurt Russell, who played the lead MacReady, was his usual self. I liked his take on this character though. I felt that it wasn't too crazy...(i.e. Captain Ron) and it wasn't all bad ass (i.e. Escape from L.A.), so he was tolerable. :-)

Having seen this movie, I'd be willing to check out the remake, in theatres now. From what I can tell, the new movie is more of a prequel to this 1982 version...basically telling the story of the Norwegian camp. Interesting...

I'm currently kicking myself for not being able to be down at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights this year as they are featuring the new version of The Thing. I bet those haunted houses would be something.


Similar Movies:

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Thing (2011)


Up Next

The Mummy (1999)



No comments: