Sunday, February 28, 2010

How Many Men Does It Take To Change A Flat Tire?

Answer...about 9 apparently.

This morning started off slow and steady. I woke up and brought my computer over to my bed to read some news and other info for a while. Time passed by and I realized that I needed to get ready for my day! I was driving my roommate over to meet her parents for breakfast and then we would be separating while she did her taxes and I went to work.

I was running late (something that doesn't often happen) and so I sped through a shower and quick blow-dry, got changed and met my roommate in our living room. We got in the car and were on our way. Everything was fine until we hit the road that crossed through the Target and Lowe's parking lots.

BANG!

I realized, too late, that I had hit a pothole and hard. We stopped talking for a moment as we realized what had happened. Once the shock wore off, we resumed our conversation but I was thinking about what I might find when we actually got out of the car.

Just what I expected to find: a flat tire. Lovely. We had a very tasty breakfast and then I moved my car into a more open space and my roommate's father and I started to get things in order to change the tire.

I can change a tire. I've done so in the past a number of times. I never would have been able to change this tire by myself.

First, the lug nuts were extremely difficult to loosen. It was ridiculous actually. If you could have seen the two of us jumping on the tire iron, we could have potentially won $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos. Second, we broke one of the bolts. All that jumping and snap! At least the lug nut came off! Third, the tire wouldn't budge. We kept kicking it, pulling it, whatever could do to help loosen it up. Nothing.

We had to call in the big guns: AAA. So, while the wait was on for someone from AAA to come out to our location, other patrons of the restaurant visited our group asking what was wrong and if we needed help. Male after male came up seeing if they could offer suggestions...suggestions we had already considered and tried, but they didn't seem deterred by that fact. No, they would each come up and take a turn kicking at my poor tire. I think it was a pride thing. I could just imagine the gloat that each man would have if he was the one that could kick my tire loose.

Finally, the AAA guy shows up and does the exact same thing excepts adds a few sprays of what I was calling glorified WD-40. Still...nothing. The tire was as stubborn as me and refused to move. Next step...call a tow truck. Yup, my baby was going to have to be towed. Not what I wanted on a Sunday when I needed to be at work to finish up somethings. Ugh!

So, AAA dude leaves and then not one, but TWO tow trucks turn up! Then we decided to make things interesting. My roommate's father and I made a small wager: I bet a cold beer that between these two new men, the tire would come off the car and he bet me a cold beer that they would get frustrated and give up. The game was on...

Lo and behold...Lauren was the victor! The two tow truck guys came to the rescue, put some more umph into their kicks and had the tools to release the corrosion on the tire that was holding it attached to the rim. With my spare tired set into place, I was on my way home to get ready for the remainder of my day.

So, about 2 hours after breakfast was finished and about 9 men later, the drama over my flat tire was over...and I'll be collecting on my bet soon.

No comments: