Thursday, February 11, 2010

Insomnia or Lack Thereof

So, instead of sleeping, I'm actually sitting at my computer pondering a blog entry.

I'm not tired, though I should be: I've been up early every single day this week to get to the gym to continue my running regime. I've been up late almost every night because there is at least one television show that I "must see" and that's been wearing on me. And yet, here I sit, at my computer, not in my bed; typing, not sleeping.

I had a bout with insomnia about this time of the year 2 years ago. I had been in Baltimore at the time and I had struggled with my non-existent sleeping patterns for months. I was not resting at all, but somehow I got through each day of work exceedingly well. However, my usual "spark" and "peppiness" was missing and my boss finally sent me to the doctor as she knew from the deep circles under my eyes (that no amount of cover up could in fact cover up) that I wasn't sleeping.

Off to the doctor I went and the doctor asked if there was anything on my mind. I answered honestly saying, no, I felt fine, work was fine and I couldn't figure out what could be causing the lack of sleep. Then he broke it down into parts and we determined that in the months leading up to the insomnia I had done a number of things to set everything off:

-moved to a new city
-started a new job
-stress of my thesis

Apparently, I had a little too much on my plate but my brain and my body didn't recognize it. So I was forced to be sent home to try to sleep (with the aid of generic drugs taken in moderation). Once I was able to get a steady sleep pattern underway and I was able to start recognizing what was setting off my insomnia and managing it all better, I was fine.

Now, I sit here and I know I am no where near where I was 2 years ago, but I still have some of the same stresses:

-new job title
-new fitness regime/goal

I don't have insomnia, but this one night of sitting up and wondering "why am I not tired" got me thinking about that last time I felt that way...and do you know what it does...?


It makes me sleepy.

No comments: