Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sea Birds Paintings

Over the last few years, I've really gotten into painting. I'm a fan of acrylics and I've done about 20-25 for work and home. I love it.

This year for my Grandma's Christmas present...my mom suggested to me to paint her something. After thinking about it...I decided to paint some sea birds for her home in New Jersey.

Here are some basic shots of my process of the paintings.

I started with two bases for the two paintings: bluish-brown for the bottom painting and brownish-grey for the top. Then I added the birds base in white, so I could paint its coloring on top.

This painting was having the bird along the water line, so I needed to add the sea and some of the foam from the breaking tide. This took some time...and this was the final product.

For the grey bird, I wanted to add its shadow along with some dried seaweed pieces. I love this guys face...and his crime-fighter mask around his eyes.


The brown bird really took some time and major progress. He started off a little darker and I didn't like it, so I lightened him up with some white, but kept him with a darker belly.
Here's are the final products!
I placed them in a white shadow box and mailed them off to my grandma. I'm pretty sure she'll like them, but here's hoping!!

No comments: