Thursday, August 18, 2011

We Are Family

...I got all my sisters with me!




Ok, so I don't actually have any sisters, but the idea is the same. I've got all my family with me...which means its FAMILY REUNION TIME!


That's right...the first Saturday is August every year is dedicated to my family reunion (on my father's side)...so that meant just a few weeks I ago I hopped in my car and headed up to the middle of Maine to gather with other family members from the area and across the country.


It had been two years since my mom and I made the trek to our reunion...and I think every two years is a good length. Granted...before that it had been probably ten years, and that was great too. ;-) Last year, my mom and I ended up at the beach in NJ with my grandmother (mom's side) and that prevented us from getting to the reunion.


The big reason for actually heading up this year was due to all of my cousins making the journey as well. I was going to be able to see them, my uncles, aunts, new babies, etc...all in all a great reason to travel.




By the time I arrived on Friday, I was already exhausted, ready to head back home. The weather was hot, but the pond we were going to be gathering on was beautiful, just like last time. We headed over to another house for dinner and I got rather chilly. After a tasty meal and my dad being hit in the nose by a glow stick (long story)...we headed back to the house to sleep.




After a calm early morning by the pond...




...the rest of the morning involved my mom and I building a hammock and a volleyball net among other things and then people started arriving. A day of bean bag toss (or Corn Hole as its known in the south), swimming (not for me), eating (yes, I did that), catching up and more food (come on...my family revolves around food). I was ready to call it a night.


I never made it to the bonfire and fireworks (honestly, I'm not sure anyone did). Though I did have a bed mate for the weekend.




By morning, I was packing up my things and starting the trip back.


The weather ended up being wonderful, with the sun shining on Saturday and starting to rain early Sunday morning. The drive was long and wet for sure...but I do admit, it was worth it to see my family again.


But it will still probably be another two years before I'm back...as my mom and I are thinking back to the beach next year! :-)

No comments: