Sunday, March 27, 2011

This Little Piggy and the "M" Word

----WARNING: THIS BLOG CONTAINS A PHOTO WITH BLOOD------

Well, those who remember I blogged earlier this year about a series of challenges that I was going to be accomplishing. Welcome to Challenge #1 and how it went horribly wrong!! ;-) Challenge Duplicate Recipe: Chick-Fil-A Sandwich and Waffle Fries . Andy and I had gone out the night before to pick up all of the supplies. Once everything was assembled, it was time to get cooking! First thing was first...take the chicken breasts and make cutlets and then flatten them. Then, marinate them like Chick-Fil-A does...in pickle juice!! (PS...if you do this, don't leave them in longer than 20-30 minutes as the acid in the juice will begin to cook the chicken).


I then shifted to making the breading stations, with a pan for wet and a pan for dry ingredients. Delicious!!



After I began the waffle fries everything turned south. I assembled my mandolin (a very sharp kitchen device used for slicing). I was working and then...BAM!


I got about half way through the potato and I cut my pinkie finger. Well, not actually cut...



I basically cut a chunk out of the pad of my pinkie and after the initial shock...it hurt like a b*#$%. After searching for first aid items (and discovering that we really don't have any) and finding that we couldn't stop the bleeding, we got in the car and headed to the ER.


An hour later, we were out of the hospital with a bandaged finger (no stitches...since there wasn't anything to stitch together :-/) and in search of a First Aid Kit...and dinner.



I still got my chicken sandwich...though it wasn't from Chick-Fil-A like I promised. But, we will be trying this again...with a little extra attention paid to that damn mandolin!!

No comments: