Sunday, March 14, 2010

Race #1

Technically, my first race was cancelled last month and today should have been the second race. However, due to the cancellation, today I participated in my first race of 2010.

Today's race was a 5k (3.1 miles) through downtown and it was being held after a month of not running. Due to my ankle injury, I had not been running in hopes of having it heal as much as it could before I was to race.

Luckily for me, I healed enough to run the race and at the end, my ankle was actually holding up really well. It was twinging a little during that last mile, but nothing I couldn't handle.

The first mile was rough. I could feel my body revolting on me, basically saying 'hey, you haven't done this in a while....what the hell are you thinking?!" I could see my boss ahead of me and he just kept getting further away. I didn't want to push myself for fear of agitating my injured ankle. I held it together as best I could (trying to not get sick) up to the 1.5 mile mark (and basically the half way point).

I picked up some water and basically it gave me the energy to finish the race. By mile 3, I was back at my stride and feeling good; good enough to sprint to the finish at the last hundred yards or so.



My final time: 33:16. Not bad for a month off! To celebrate, my boss and I savored some free beer and corned beef on bagels (hey, it was a St. Patty's Day race after all!)
Next goal: get back in the gym and try and prep for the 1/4 marathon in 3 weeks!

Cross your fingers for no more injuries!!! (And I'll post the finish photo when I can!)

No comments: