Thursday, January 2, 2014

Goodbye 2013; Hello 2014!

2013 is officially over and the year of 2014 has begun.

The year of 2013 was filled with ups and downs, just like any other year. I accomplished a lot. I failed at times. I took emotions twists and turns. I endeavored to have new experiences as well as continue with old ones. As December 31st approached, I was looking at quotes, phrases, ideas, anything that would help me moving forward in the new year and here are some of the ones that I took note of:


"Collect memories, not things."

"Do all things with love."

" A year from now, you'll wish you'd started today."

"I'm too passionate to not be a priority."

"Take time to do the things that make your soul happy."

"Good things take time."

"Start where you are; use what you have; do what you can."

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."


I'm not saying to take any of these words to heart personally (that is a matter of choice for you), but they connected with me and I believe words are powerful objects that can help you remember, forget, succeed or fail. With the right words, you can achieve what you wish to achieve and believe what you would like to believe. These are some of the words I'm choosing to listen to, remember and hopefully live by in the upcoming year.


Now, in a moment of retrospect, here's a look back at 2013...

Highlights of 2013: (in no particular order)
  • Vacationing in London with my parents
  • Successfully completing 5 half-marathons (including setting a new PR) and 12 other races
  • Surviving being the Interim General Manager at DTC
  • Directing the ESD Alumni Musical (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
  • Spending time with Bailey (just in general)
  • Coaching my runners (and getting two of them through their first half-marathons)
  • Making new friends
  • Strengthening older friendships
  • Road trip down to Austin with my girls
  • Finishing one full year at DTC
  • Navigating my first year being single in a decade


So, I don't enjoy making resolutions. The main reason: I can never stick with them. So, this year, I'm making goals for myself. You may ask, what's the different between a resolution and a goal. Honestly, I have no idea, but the fact that it's a different word has me thinking differently about them. I feel like I can make and hit goals, but resolutions equal failure.


Now, here is a list of goals for 2014...

Goals for 2014: (in no particular order)
  • Setting mini-monthly goals (easier to accomplish: i.e. no eating out for a month, etc)
  • Push harder as a runner (and train for Dopey in 2015)
  • Expect more as a coach
  • Say 'YES' more often when it comes to friends and family and 'NO' more often in terms of work (within reason)
  • Keep more of an open mind
  • Have a more positive attitude (that might be difficult....haha, see what I did (or didn't do) there?!)
  • Take more chances on things and people

I may succeed with these, I may fail. The purpose is to at least try and that I shall do. Life passes by quickly, as this year proved. Take the bull by the horns and live.

No comments: