Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Go Big or Go Home: Challenge Accepted

So, those who know me, and/or read this blog, know that I had been planning on using 2014 as a training year with very few races, if any at all. This is still the case. But I'm sure many of you don't know why that is or what I'm training for.

For the past two years I've been a busy bee with my races, running twelve in 2012 and seventeen in 2013. I've been coaching for a year and helping others up their game in running and fitness in general. I decided that in 2014 I would focus on training and run fewer races, but I would have a goal in mind. And that goal is the Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World in Florida. The Dopey Challenge is actually having it's inaugural run this coming weekend in fact, beginning Thursday, which is why I'm writing this post.



I found out about the Dopey Challenge last March when it was announced. I had always thought to do Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge, but never happened. When I saw the Dopey, I knew I had to strive for this and make it a goal for myself. I also knew it wouldn't be possible for the inaugural race in January of 2014. I was disappointed, but money is a necessity to run races and travel for them...especially at Disney, so I would aim for January 2015.

For those who are unfamiliar with these particular Disney challenges, let me break them down for you:

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge: run the WDW Half Marathon on Saturday and run the WDW Marathon on Sunday. It's a total of 39.3 miles in two days. You receive both your half and full marathon medals plus a special Goofy medal for completing the challenge.

Dopey Challenge: run the WDW 5K on Thursday, the WDW 10K on Friday, the WDW Half Marathon on Saturday and the WDW Marathon on Sunday. This is a total of 48.6 miles in four days. You receive medals for the 5K, 10K, half and full marathons as well as the Goofy medal (since you are technically completing the Goofy Challenge as well) and the Dopey medal.

And those who know me...I'm a sucker for the bling.

Now on a slightly different, yet connected topic, I know an incredible woman. I had the privilege of running with her for a short time back when I lived in Connecticut and got back into running. She kept me going when I was training for my first half marathon and while she wasn't officially one of my couches, I always thought of her as such. This past summer she was diagnosed with breast cancer, but did she let that stop her? NO! After all sorts of surgery and chemotherapy and whatnot, not only has she continued to run races (Chicago Marathon, Disneyland Half, Wine & Dine Half, New York City Marathon and MANY OTHERS) she is tackling the inaugural Dopey Challenge this weekend as well.

This woman is a beast and such a motivation and inspiration for me. She is a powerhouse and she makes me smile when I read her blog or see her posts on Facebook.  You can visit her blog and read all about her journeys through races and life here. I heart you, Kimberly. You are such a strong, amazing person and I'll be thinking about you as you rock out all of those races this weekend!

So, this year is about focus. It's about pushing myself towards a goal that most people wouldn't contemplate let alone do. It's about making sure that not only will I succeed in all of these races, but that I will be comfortable during the process and enjoy it. The training program I am working with will take about half a year to complete, so...I'm going to do it twice. :-) Why not, right? Practice makes perfect, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...and all that jazz.

I have friends who have agreed to sign up for a few of the races (only one has agreed to go the full Dopey distance with me) and I'm grateful for each of them. It will be an experience that I know they will never forget (since none of them have run a Disney race before) and neither will I.

Good luck to all of those who are beginning this fantastic and magical adventure this week. I look forward to hearing all about it and getting tips from you for next year!

Stay tuned as I live the ups and downs of my intense training year. I'm ridiculously excited for it. :-)

No comments: