Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's A Zebra

My coworker, Emily, found a cake on Pintrest that I needed to try to make. It looked fairly simple and difficult all at the same time, so I did some research and made it happen. Here's the making of the Zebra cake:

I made two batters. Yes, I could have made only one and split it, adding some cocoa powder to the vanilla cake, but I really wanted the colors and flavors to be there. Plus, it allowed me to make a whole second cake to keep at home. :-)



Then very slowly, and carefully, I began pouring the batter into each of the pans to create the layers, aka stripes.




This is the final product of one of the pans....looks like a target!




I proceeded to bake the two cakes, turning them 180 degrees in the oven about half way through baking...I would do this anyway, but I really have to do it because my kitchen is kind of slanted...no joke!





Then it was frosting time! I did both a whipped frosting and butter cream, for the color and flavor. Then, of course...it's a zebra, so it needs stripes. With a chocolate ganache that is also known as Duke's Frosting (from my dad's mom), I made the stripes (and frosted the second cake).


It needed a face...




...and a tail...of course.





I took the cake to work...everyone was asking who's birthday it was...or what the occasion was...which I replied "just 'cause"! The cake looked great on the inside and tasted delicious as well!






Overall, I thought it came out great and I'm already contemplating not only how to make it better but how to change the animal! ;-) Tiger or giraffe cake anyone?!

1 comment:

Andy P said...

Giraffe Cake!! Yay!!