Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sara's Birthday Cookies

For my buddy Sara's birthday this year, she joked around about wanting Mickey Mouse cookies. So...I made it happen.

I couldn't find a cookie cutter I liked, so I headed to Michael's to pick-up some different sized cookie cutters and made my own Mickey Mouse shapes. If you want to do this too, here's what you need:

  • Sugar cookie recipe you like
  • Double boiler (or a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water)
  • 2 bags of red-colored candy melt (vanilla flavored)
  • 2 bags of dark chocolate candy melt
  • Yellow icing
  • White Icing


  • While the sugar cookies were baking in the oven, I started to melt down the chocolate. Here's what you need:

    Once the cookies cooled, I dipped the top half of the cookie (aka the ears) into the melted dark chocolate and laid the cookie out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Once the tray was filled, I placed it in the freezer. NOTE: You can use the refrigerator as well, just make sure where ever the cookies go, they are flat to avoid the chocolate running.

    The cookies only need a few minutes to cool and harden. I then pulled the cookies out and repeated the process for the bottom of the cookie in the red chocolate. Once more I put the cookies on the sheet trays and chilled them.

    Lastly, I decorated each of the cookies for the 'mickey' or the 'minnie' look I wanted. Yellow icing makes the buttons on Mickey's pants and the white icing makes the ruffles and dots from Minnie's dress.



    Next step: TAKE A BITE!

    Just remember to pace yourself when eating these cookies because they are super sweet....but super adorable!! Give them a try!
    PS...Sara loved the cookies :-)

    No comments: