Sunday, June 19, 2011

Vocal Play vs A Cappella

What is the difference between Vocal Play and a cappella?

A cappella is defined as singing without instruments. Vocal Play is singing AS instruments, and BECOMING an instrument with the voice. -Naturally 7 website

When I was in college, I was a part of an all girl a cappella group, who, by definition, performed Vocal Play. I remembered 'being' everything from violins, keyboards, bass lines, trumpets to my favorite...percussion. We all were the instruments.

I have also been to my fair share of a cappella group performances and competitions, but I tell you that I haven't heard anything this amazing in a looooong time. Naturally 7 is a all male R&B Vocal Play group that opened for Michael Buble when I went to see the concert last week.


They were phenomenal. If you ever get the chance to listen to them live or even take a second to search for them on iTunes, do! They blend magnificently and you can see and hear that they love what they do. Take a listen...




They joined Michael later on stage and they worked so seamlessly with him, creating his big band sound in vocal form. Just awesome!

No comments: