Monday, January 11, 2010

Goals

So, I've realized over the last week that training for this marathon, while fulfilling and good for me, is hard and sometimes sucks. I have to set goals or milestones for me in order to reach my ultimate goal of finishing my first marathon.

Some people workout with buddies, others have a trainer to work with. With me, it's just that: me. So I have to set my own guidelines.

I have a training journal that sets up my week for me with what I need to accomplish along with places for me to put how I'm feeling, whether or not I actually did what I was supposed to do, etc. It's a pain at times to look down and see that I need to get to the gym, but its that constant reminder of what I need to achieve.

I have also gone through running websites to locate running events in my area of me to participate in so I keep my training constant. I have now committed to at least 4 races (which includes the marathon).

Lastly, I've told others about these races so I actually do them. I even have a coworker/good friend who has said that he would even come out and cheer me on. That's really what I need. So now I'm taking that a step further and announcing on my blog that I intend to run at least these 4 races:

Cupid's Chase 5K - February
ShamRock & Roll 5K - March
1/4 Marathon (11K) - April
Full Marathon (26.2mi) - October

I'm hoping to add at least one more race (hopefully a 10k to a 1/2 marathon) in the summer months to keep the incentive alive. Check back as I update my progress and race information.

Now I just have to finish...

No comments: