Sunday, April 24, 2011

Not So Good Friday...for the Birds

So...this past Friday was Good Friday and I took the day off from work. But this blog entry isn't about religion...its about birds.



I woke up Friday morning and started my usual routine of working out. After I was finished, I sat on the couch to drink the rest of my water and relax a little when something caught my eye out on the porch.


Now before I get into this, let me explain something. We have birds and squirrels around our porch because we have a bird feeder hanging off the balcony above us. This being said, it is never unusual to see the occasional critter.


Let me also say this: my bike hangs upside down under the balcony as well and it has only been there for about two weeks.


So, when something caught my eye on the porch, I was prepared to see a bird at the feeder. Nope. The bird had flown in and landed on the bike.


And that's when I saw it....the nest. I couldn't believe it! It had literally appeared overnight, or at least it had to me. I was super impressed as I had really never seen such a perfect nest that close.


The unfortunate thing was that...I needed to be able to access my bike...and that nest wasn't going to make it happen. So, I enlisted the help of Andy to help pull the bike down and move the nest.


We had to make sure that 1) the birds weren't in the nest when we chose to move it and 2) that there weren't any eggs (otherwise, no moving the nest).


Luckily, we had no issues...and were able to move the next to a nearby tree.


Now I'm keeping a closer eye on my bike :-)

No comments: