Wednesday, November 27, 2013

London - Day 3

I had decided not to run this particular morning as I knew my legs would be tired from the run the previous day as well as all of the walking we did in the city. So, I woke up leisurely, read a bit in bed and then proceeding to get ready for breakfast.

Once we met up downstairs, we each decided we would try the buffet. Pretty tasty. There was plenty of traditional English breakfast items: black pudding, baked beans, sautéed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, porridge, along with the standards of eggs, bacon and sausage. I didn't try it all, but what I did eat was good.

So good, in fact, that I was stuffed. I definitely ate too much and I knew we were meeting up with family friends for lunch, so I was hoping that we would do enough walking to help my digestion.

After the debacle that was mom and I looking everywhere for the Tardis at Charring Cross (aka the wrong station) back on day one, we ventured out again, this time in hopes of actually locating the item in question. Earl's Court Station is located on the Piccadilly line and that's where we had to go. The Tardis was supposedly located out on Earl's Court Road. And wouldn't you know it, it was!



Mom and I each posed next to the Tardis and went on our merry little way. I did knock to see if the Doctor was in...he wasn't. I knocked four times...and nothing. ;-)



We then headed back to the hotel to pick up my dad. He said he wanted to take the tube to Covent Garden (where we were meeting up with friends for lunch) but mom and I weren't too sure about that. The tube is the underground and there are a lot of steps and it's a lot of walking...things dad isn't the best at. But we found a way to not change trains so we headed to the Hyde Park Corner Station (Marble Arch was technically our closer station, but we would have had to change trains once) and we took the Piccadilly line to Covent Garden. It was a bit slow going, up but eventually, we got him there.

We all met up outside the Royal Opera House and proceeded to walk to a restaurant called Brown's. Everyone seemed to have something different: linguini, flatbread, fish and chips, salmon cakes. I had a chicken and avocado sandwich on focaccia with chips and it was delicious. Very light, especially after the large breakfast.

Once we were all satiated, we headed back to Covent Garden to walk around and see all the crafts, street performers and high end stores.




Apparently we had worked up enough of another appetite (so not true) that we headed into a place for tea and dessert. Everyone else got tea, but I had the Belgium hot chocolate. Delicious. I also had not planned to eat anything, but when the scones with jam and cream came out, they were massive and I was asked to share one. So...I took one for the team. Again, delicious. These were not traditional scones as they were more like biscuits in consistency, but they were still good.


We took a cab back to the hotel and I snagged an hour nap before mom and I headed out to dinner (geez, massive amounts of food today). We had reservations at The Wolseley, which is a higher end restaurant near Piccadilly Circus.


We took a cab but the traffic was so bad, we were dropped off on a street corner near the restaurant. Sadly, we ended up walking the wrong way so we got a bit lost, but after asking a shop clerk (or two), we finally found it.

It was a lovely dinner. There was plenty of fish options, but unless it was fried, I probably wasn't going to eat it, so I chose the filet and it was so good. A chocolate éclair for dessert rounded out my meal. As we left the restaurant, we decided to go next door to the Ritz Carlton London for an after dinner drink. We were sat in one of the lobby parlors and while the others had a glass of port, I enjoyed a Bonaparte Mule (aka a Moscow Mule with rosemary instead of mint) in a copper mug. It was refreshing and light.


Finally, we hopped in a cab and made it back to the hotel. As I hopped into bed I realized how much I didn't want to get up in the morning to run...

No comments: